Navigate Up
Sign In
AAA

Former Lidcombe Hospital Site

Boys Reformatory.PNGOriginal Dining Hall and Kitchen for the Boys Reformatory: Source: Godden Mackay Logan (2002) Lidcombe Hospital Conservation Management Plan

​This Lidcombe site was part of a larger area that was developed from 1884 - 87 as a Boys Reformatory. It was then expanded and used as an Asylum/Hospital for infirm or destitute men till 1927. From 1927-66, as Lidcombe State Hospital and home, its role as a medical facility expanded, with its Rehabilitation Centre becoming a leader in its field. From 1966  it functioned as Lidcombe Hospital, providing geriatric care within a teaching hospital. In 1995 the institution closed after 102 years of caring for the elderly, destitute and sick in NSW. 

In 1997 the site was chosen for the temporary media village for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, and accomodated 5,000 people during the Olympics. 

​The former Lidcombe Hospital site is now incorporated within the housing estate known as Botanica. A conservation management plan (CMP) was developed in conjunction with the planning for Botanica. The CMP can be downloaded below. 

Some of the original landscape remains and a number of the original buildings have been adaptively reused for residential or other purposes.