Cumberland Council provides Domestic and Commercial Waste Services for residents and business's within the Local Government Area.
Garbage collected from LGA residents results in over 21,000 tonnes per year going to landfill. Cumberland Council is committed to minimising waste to landfill and recover more recyclables and encourages residents to reduce, reuse and recycle.
What you can do to reduce waste
- Buy recyclable products when you go shopping
- Have a garage sale for those unused or unwanted household items
- Recycle clothes and household items by taking them to your local charity shop
- Save money and buy second-hand
- Don't buy heavily packaged goods
- Use refillable containers where possible
- Use your own shopping bags or re-use plastic shopping bags
- Get a composter or a worm farm to recycle all those vegetable scraps and save money on fertiliser at the same time
- Save your electronic waste and drop off at the free, six monthly, e-Waste events
- Take your household chemicals to the free, annual, Chemical CleanOut event