Navigate Up
Sign In

Making an application for council information


Informal applications

Where information is unable to be accessed online, an informal application for access may be lodged.  Information that may be accessed via an informal application includes:
  • Mandatory disclosure of open access information (the information listed in Council's Publication Guide);
  • Proactive release of as much government information as possible;
  • Informal release where agencies are encouraged to release information in response to a request.

There is no timeframe imposed on Council by the Act to provide this information. 

The public is entitled to inspect these documents either on this website (unless there is an unreasonable additional cost to Council to publish these documents on this website) or at the office of the Council during ordinary office hours. 

Please note that reasonable copying charges can be charged by Council to supply the information, as set by Council's current schedule of fees and charges.

Informal Application under Government Information Public Access Act 2009

Formal applications

While Council proactively releases much information to the community about our activities as possible, the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 provides a formal means of requesting access to information held by Council that is not normally publicly available.
Requests for access to information (formal requests) must be made using the approved form and be accompanied by the application fee.
Sufficient detail must be provided to enable Council to identify the information requested.
Please note that an application will be invalid if it seeks access to excluded information or does not meet the formal requirements for an access application.
An application must:
  • be in writing;
  • specify it is made under the GIPA Act;
  • state an Australian Postal address;
  • be accompanied by the $30 fee; and
  • provide sufficient detail to enable Council to identify the information requested.

Under the Act, Council has 20 working days to determine how to deal with a formal application.

Formal Application under Government Information Public Access Act 2009.pdf

Submitting your application

Completed applications, both informal and formal, should be sent to: 
Auburn City Council
PO Box 118
Or fax to: (02) 9643 1120  

The formal application fees & charges

The Formal Application processing fee is $30.00. Cheque or money order must be made payable to Auburn City Council. 
In addition to the application fee, you may be charged for the following:
  • Processing charge: $30/hour. The processing charge covers the time spent dealing efficiently with the application.
  • Council may request an advance deposit advising of the estimated processing charge and giving at least 4 weeks for payment to be made. An advance deposit can be up to 50% of the processing time.

Applicants are entitled to a 50% reduction of processing charges under the Act for dealing with an access application if the applicant provides evidence that the applicant:

(a) is the holder of a Pensioner Concession card issued by the Commonwealth that is in force, or
(b) is a full-time student, or
(c) is a non-profit organisation (including a person applying for or on behalf of a non-profit organisation.

Review of decision 

If you are not satisfied with the decision about your application, you have a right to ask for a review.
For instance, you may have been refused access to the whole or part of a document, or perhaps you are concerned that your personal or business information will be disclosed to someone else.
You have the options of applying for an internal review. A request for internal review must be lodged with Council within 20 working days of receiving the decision, must be in writing, and accompanied by a $40 fee.
A person more senior to the original decision-maker will review your application and inform you of the review decision within 15 working days, including reasons as to why the original decision is affirmed, modified or overturned. If further consultation is required, the review period may be extended by up to 10 working days.  

External review

You can also request an external review by sending a review application to the Information Commissioner or NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal. 

Information & Privacy Commission

GPO Box 7011,
Sydney NSW 2001  
Phone:  1800 472 679
NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT), formerly known as the Administrative Decisions Tribunal
NCAT Registry for the Occupational and Administrative and Equal Opportunity Divisions
Level 10 John Maddison Tower
86-90 Goulburn Street  
Sydney NSW 2000  
Phone: 1300 00 NCAT or 1300 006 228